Download file message?
Sometimes after adding a link to a document in Lessons, such as a Word document or PowerPoint presentation in Lessons, a "Download file" link and "message" appear, similar to the image below. How do you fix this?
Here's the fix: Add Content Links (not Embed)
- In Lessons, after you click on Add Content or on a plus (+) symbol to add a document to your page, at the top you have four choices: Add Text, Embed content on page, Add Content Links, and Add Subpage:
- Click on Add Content Links, to get what you expected: a link created to your Word document or PowerPoint presentation:
Why did you see "Download file"? You tried to Embed content
- If you click on Embed content on page for a Word document or PowerPoint presentation, you'll get the "Download file" link and message
- Why? Embed is a term used in technology. When you embed a file such as a video, you display or show the video, in a video player, with a start button.
- When you click on Embed content on page to create a link to your Word document or PowerPoint presentation, Lessons tries to find a way to display the file, but it can't. Since there isn't an easy way to display a Word document or PowerPoint presentation in a web browser, the "Download file" link (and message) appear.
When should you use "Embed Content on page"?
- When you want to show or display an image, video, or a web page