I just finished the three week Canvas Network MOOC, The Human Element: An Essential Online Course Component. It was fun and challenging!
What three tips did they provide (based on research)?
|Image: 'Joris holds court' CC BY-NC-SA 2.0|
- For all types of classes: Create and Participate in Discussion Forums. Here are excellent tips for creating your discussion forum/topics (such as, make them graded assignments): Guidelines for Effective Online Discussions
- For all types of classes: Convert a Research/Writing/Lab assignment into a Peer Review Assignment. To find out how to set up a peer review assignment, and work with sample peer grading criteria for many different types of classes, check out this excellent FAQ about Peer Review.
- Add an introductory video, especially to online and hybrid courses. Here's a great video to get you started: Building Community in Your Online Course: Course Introduction Video
- Community Matters: Social Presence and Learning Outcomes
- Teaching Intellectual Teamwork in WAC Courses through Peer Review
- Improving Online Social Presence through Asynchronous Video
Starting Now: Free Courses (MOOC's) about Online Teaching/Learning and Tech Tools for Educatiors